Tuesday, September 29, 2009

On Saturday I had a baby. His name is Dante Antonio and he's perfect. I had a c-section despite our efforts otherwise, but it all went smoothly.

A few interesting things.

The first mom of the 3 in our childbirth class had her baby recently, and she was going to have a homebirth. She ended up in a hospital she hardly knew, and had a c-section. Her baby had a double wrapped cord on her neck which prevented her coming down enough, and this is one of those cases. If they hadn't made the call, I'm sure they're all terrified thinking about that situation.

The reason I know all of this is because the teacher came to visit yesterday. She feels sort of bad - we're 0/2 on the c section front, and the other couple is a vbac couple as well. May they get their perfect birth. They were really worked up about their first c-section and I would love it if this one kind of atones for that.

The reason the teacher visited is because she was working with a doula client, and they were supposed to deliver at a hospital about 45 minutes away. But the baby was practically crowning and here we're about 5 minutes away. She delivered within 10 minutes of walking in the door. It was her fifth, I guess that's why you hear about the farmer ladies dropping babies in the fields.

Also, I found this a little strange. I have two brothers in law who live locally. Not a word of congratulations to myself or my husband or visits or anything. He called his twin because it's so weird, just to make sure he'd heard the good word, and it was "oh ya congratulations I guess". Not really, but that's the attitude we heard. Is that strange or what? Poor third kid.

We're going home today, a day early. I can no longer handle these 4 walls, these uncomfortable beds and chairs, and I miss my big kids. They come to visit pretty often but it's boring here and we expect them to behave and I just want to veg out and cuddle with them.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the c-section...I am hoping for another homebirth, but like you say, there is no guarantee.

The Maven said...

Congrats again, my friend. I'm sorry about the c-section, but having had two out of three turn out that way I've had some time to think about those ever important birthing days.

Mainly, I think that birth - as beautiful and amazing and special as it is - is but the beginning of a wonderful journey with our children. Sometimes the beginning doesn't go quite as planned, but a lot of journeys like that. Did I want a c-section again? Absolutely not. Was I scheduled for a VBAC? Yep. Did I do everything I could? Yes I did. And, in the end, this is part of his story and it's not such a bad one, really. I have a healthy baby and a scar. But, just like any disappointment I may have had, the scar is fading with each passing month. Soon it will barely be noticeable. Spawnling, however, is VERY noticeable. Right now he's singing Kenny Loggins' 'Danger Zone' on the floor beside me. LOL

Rest up, get better and love, love, love that baby!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats again! I am also sorry about the c-section, knowing how you feel about it. I like to remember what the dr told me the morning K was born after telling me I would need a c/s. "It doesn't matter how a baby comes into this world, as long as they arrive healthy." It really did bring comfort to me at the time.

Odd about the brothers though. I remember feeling that way when C was born and received way less attention then the first. It's hard, but all that really matters is that you love Dante like you do your others, as I know you do. ((HUGS))

How are the older siblings taking to him today?

The Runaway Lawyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Runaway Lawyer said...

Yeah, the third kid gets the short end of the stick. Not one call from SIL, BIL, or FIL. I was lucky enough to have a different gender than the first two (in terms of her getting attention), but still - I think we got 2 cards when she was born and I'm not sure she got any on her 1st birthday other than the cards from each of the boys plus mommy and daddy for her birthday to try to make up for it, lol.