Thursday, May 01, 2008

I'll make this a separate post. My son is beautiful but when I go back and look at my 25, this will be distinct. So yesterday, he had his screening for kindergarten. Really basic stuff like hearing tests and color recognition. Fine. He charmed everyone, very funny. But apparently he has some speech/articulation issues. I'm fine with that, I know he's got a few lingering baby speech things, and it was no surprise. But I am really freaked out about the stigma of him leaving class to go to speech therapy. He already has associations.

Funny story. One day he overheard something about Obama and speeches and he went "I know what speech is! Like 'alex, eliana, time for speech!'" I near died.

See, he's a smart kid, right? And everyone knows that. I don't know, I know it's not a big deal, but I still feel it.

3 comments:

The Maven said...

My two hearing aid-wearing boys have left class to go to speech therapy with no peer-related issues. When they started speech I realized that it's a fairly common thing these days. A lot of kids (especially boys) are in speech therapy. That either means our society is overreacting to speech imperfections (surprise!) or some things children just don't outgrow without a little coaxing.

Either way, I'm pleased to say that the boys are pretty much finished ST and speak very clearly. In fact, Gutsy is clearer than most of his friends without hearing loss. In his case he wouldn't have outgrown it, but your little guy might. I wouldn't worry about the stigma, though. It's fairly common :)

Thanks for the info on FB about the chiro, too! Glad to see a success story.

Dara said...

I'm going to be right there myself with Gus. Maybe Lucian, too. :hug

Anonymous said...

kindergarten!! C is already asking when she gets to ride the bus. I think she is mad about her October b-day since some of her summer baby friends will be on the bus in the fall.

it's true that speech therapy is much more common than it was when we were in school. nobody bats an eyelash anymore.

love your 25 beautiful things, by the way, I may have to do one too. :)