Monday, July 14, 2008

This is the post where I share every dirty detail of the triathlon with you. Skip post if you don't care.

I had an 8:30 start, with a 7:30 athlete meeting. So I planned to get there for 7. You had to park a little ways away and I only live 3 miles away, 2 of which can be done on a paved rail trail. So I packed up my backpack, ate a powerbar, and hit the road at 6:45. I found my spot, got marked (they write in permanent marker on your arms and legs) and got all set up. By 7 I was ready and excited, and had met up with my team. My coach was supposed to be participating but was having a bad medication reaction, so we "got" her for the day. Another gal in the group who was sick during training and didn't feel ready, hung out too for moral support. At 7:30 or shortly thereafter, I saw my husband and kids arrive and was thrilled that it was all coming together.

The young men started at 8, and every 5 minutes they sent out a swim wave. I was in the last wave (because I weigh more than 150 lb, I am considered an Athena Athlete), and wore a white cap. We all got in the water up to our thighs, and then they blew the whistle. It took me a few hundred yards to get away from the others (particularly one guy who I think was trying to "draft" off me), but then I found my groove. Suddenly I was among swimmers again, and realized I had caught the tail end of the wave ahead of me. By the time I got out, I was one of the first of my wave out, and had passed people from three of the waves before. It was a bit strange, because there is no real relativity when you know others started the race 1/2 an hour ahead of you. I had a great swim though, and it turns out I finished 108/444 for the swim. Go me! ;o)

Ran up and got the shorts, shoes, singlet, helmet on. Grabbed the bike and ran to the mounting point. I had sort of a slow transition (2:30) but not bad for a first timer. Headed out, had some water, tried to settle down. I was all adrenaline and racing, and knew that there was the biggest hill of the course about 4/10 of a mile in. The good thing about that hill is that you're totally warmed up by the time you're up it. Drank tons of water on the bike and was able to take it a little easy, analyze the swim, the bike, prep mentally for the run. Found a guy to kind of stick with (his number was 69, giggle, which makes a good icebreaker). Passed some people, got passed by many. I was 402/444 for the ride. I did about the same pace I'd been doing practicing (13 mi in 56 min), so that felt good.

The day was warming up at this point. Dying to get off my helmet, grabbed a bit more water, changed shoes, headed out. My legs felt like jelly for the first 1/2 mile or so. Stopped to walk for a hundred yards or so, and realized that it didn't feel any better, so just plugged along. Many, many neighbors out with hoses, makeshift water stops and moral support. Felt wonderful. At the turnaround was the real water stop, so I grabbed a cup and got a pretty decent stomach cramp. I walked for probably 1/4 mile then, but then felt okay and trotted on back. Not my fastest 5k, for sure (42 min) but still, after the others, it was just the end to a fun day. Total finish: 396/444. Which keeps confusing me, as by alphabetical listing, I was number 398.

Then, the big boy wanted me to swim in the lake, and of course nothing sounded better. That victory swim with the kiddos was the most fun, refreshing swim ever. Then we all had free burgers by the lake. Altogether fun.

August 3, look for me on another course!

No comments: